Termites In St. Louis: What You Need To Know
May 06, 2022 - Termites
Termites invading your St. Louis property can quickly become a significant problem and lead to many costly repair issues. Our article tells you what you need to know about this pest and how to treat active infestations in addition to preventing future termite problems.
What Do Termites Look Like?
Termite identification is essential if you want to know whether or not this pest is invading your home. Even though there are several different species of termites, they all bear a similar appearance.
Termites typically grow between a quarter of an inch and half an inch long, have soft oval-shaped bodies, and most of them range in color between an off-white and tannish or brown. Reproductive termites have wings and will be either solid red or black in color, depending on the species. Termites will fall into three castes in their colonies – workers, soldiers, or reproductive.
What Is The Best Way To Identify Termite Damage
Once this pest makes it inside your home, there are several signs of termites that can be indicators of serious damage to the internal structures of your home. Review these signs below to identify if you have a major termite problem:
- Pinpoint holes in walls and baseboards caused by tunneling termites
- Wood that appears visually damp or damaged and breaks away easily
- Sinking floors, dipping ceilings, bulging walls
- Bubbling or peeling paint on walls
- Termite frass around windowsills, doorjambs, or baseboards (it appears much like wood shavings)
- Hollow-sounding walls or a rustling sound in walls at night
Is There A Way To Prevent Termites For Good?
If you want to prevent termites permanently, your best option is to reach out to St. Louis pest control provided by Roberts Pest Control. Our termite specialists can help you defeat an active infestation of this pest by removing every termite present in your home. This is much more effective than DIY termite treatments or home remedies for this pest, as these methods often don’t reach into the most hidden areas of your home.
In addition to professional termite removal, you can implement these termite prevention tips to stop reinfestations of this pest:
- Reduce moisture around your home by ensuring proper ventilation inside and adequate drainage in your yard. Termites prefer excess moisture and can create damp wood issues in your home, making it easier for this pest to invade.
- Seal up entry points around your home that termites might use to enter, such as gaps around windows, doors, utility lines, and the foundation of your home.
- Install a gravel or wood chip barrier between the soil of your yard and the foundation of your home. This reduction of soil to wood contact makes it difficult for termites to enter your home.
- Keep your yard clear of debris such as woodpiles, tree stumps, leaf litter, and fallen branches, in addition to cutting the grass low. This removes outdoor termite hiding and nesting spots.
Professional Termite Control In St. Louis
The best termite control company that you can contact in the St. Louis area is Roberts Pest Control. Our professionals at Roberts Pest Control have the expertise and years of experience in treating termites and can eliminate your termite problem in no time. This will save you from costly damages and ensure that your property remains protected from this pest year-round.