How To Keep Mice Away From Your St. Louis Home
January 20, 2022 - Mice
If you want to keep mice away from your St. Louis home, you will need to carefully follow a regimen of proactive prevention and invest in professional pest control. Our article below discusses the steps that you should take to get rid of mice.
Mice And The Problems They Bring
Rodents common to the St. Louis area include Norway rats, roof rats, deer mice, and house mice. Any of these rodents can cause significant problems when they enter your house, but mice are especially problematic to deal with.
House mice diseases include hantavirus, salmonellosis, and listeria, and deer mice often carry these same illnesses. You can contract diseases from mice either by coming into direct contact with them, consuming food contaminated by these pests, or having contact with their urine and feces. A major problem with mice is that their urine and feces will dry up and become airborne, increasing the risk of you contracting an illness from this pest.
Ways To Keep Mice Away
When discussing ways to keep mice away, a natural mice deterrent is rodent-proofing your home. One of the best ways to prevent mice and other rodents is to remove the factors that attract them. We discuss these below.
- Unprotected food and trash are serious mice attractants. You should always store leftover food quickly and properly and ensure that all trash is in tightly sealed bags. Make sure to clean up all food and drink spills promptly too.
- Declutter and clean your home often to help reduce indoor hiding spots for mice and to help get ahead of an infestation if you start to see signs.
- Ensure that your yard remains free of all kinds of debris, especially organic debris, and keep the grass trimmed low to reduce outdoor hiding spots for mice.
- Address moisture issues around your property as pools of water attract both mice and rats. Fix up leaks and ensure there is proper ventilation throughout your house.
Rodents are also experts at getting into your home thanks to centuries of evolving alongside human structures; they will typically enter through any gap or crack they can find around your home’s windows, doors, or foundation. To properly mouse-proof your home, you can follow the tips below:
- Inspect all windows, doors, and your foundation for gaps or holes. Mice can enter into holes as small as a pen, so be thorough. Use chew-proof steel wool to seal up these areas.
- Consider investing in chimney caps to keep rodents from entering your home via the roof and chimney.
- Replace any broken window or door screens and invest in door sweeps and weatherstripping to fully rodent-proof your home.
How Do You Get Rid Of Mice Permanently?
If your natural mice deterrent and prevention tactics aren’t working out for you, we recommend investing in the best form of rodent protection out there – professional assistance from the experts at Roberts Pest Control. The specialists at Roberts Pest Control are highly trained in rodent removal and can help eliminate any infestation you may be experiencing – this is much safer and more effective than if you attempted removal yourself.
Contact Roberts Pest Control today to get rid of mice, and further protect your property from rodents.