How To Get Rid Of Ants In St. Louis
February 25, 2022 - Ants
We’ve got several pest ant species here in St. Louis that can give home and business owners no end of grief. Contrary to some misinformation out there, ants are more than just an ugly inconvenience. An infestation of some ant varieties can be devastating to your home and sometimes even your health. That means you’ll need to take measures to avoid getting every kind of ant, from odorous house ants to carpenter ants, in your house. The good news is that you have plenty of options for ant control in St. Louis.
How Can I Tell What Type Of Ants Are On My St. Louis Property?
We have several ant varieties that St. Louis homeowners may run across at one time or another:
- Carpenter Ants: You don’t want carpenter ants in your house of all the ant species you can get. These large black ants are a wood-nesting species that can tunnel their way into significant damage to your home’s framing and structural support, costing you thousands for repairs.
- Odorous House Ants: An odorous house ant infestation is little more than a stinky nuisance. While these small brown or black ants can’t sting or spread disease, their smelly rotten coconut odor can significantly bother many.
- Pavement Ants: As their name suggests, pavement ants like to nest in cracks in the pavement – but they’ll also take up residence in cracks in your patio or foundation. Like fire ants, pavement ants can inflict a painful sting. Unlike fire ants, these pavement-loving insects are not aggressive and will only sting if backed into a corner.
- Pharaoh Ants: The main threat from a pharaoh ant infestation is a disease. These light-brown to yellow ants can contaminate food stores – especially those containing sugar – and spread several dangerous bacteria strains like salmonella and staphylococcus.
Should I Be Worried If I See One Ant On My St. Louis Property?
Probably! There are plenty of ant species in our area that are little more than a nuisance – and there are plenty that can do damage to your property or your health. Since it can be tough to tell the difference between a harmless odorous house ant infestation and a much more dangerous pharaoh ant or carpenter ant infestation, the best thing to do is implement ant control solutions for all ant varieties.
What Causes Ant Infestations In St. Louis Homes?
Easily accessible food sources primarily cause ant infestations. While making your property easy for ants to invade can undoubtedly increase your likelihood of winding up with ants, sealing up your house against ants is no substitute for preventing them from being interested in your property. Ants are so tiny that they’ll always find a way in, no matter how well you block potential entry points like cracks and holes. That’s why most of your prevention measures should focus on not giving ants a reason to want in:
- Keep pantry foods stored in airtight containers to mask their smells.
- Cover all indoor and outdoor garbage cans with tight lids.
- Never leave pet foods or dirty pet bowls sitting out.
- Avoid leaving things like cookie plates or nut bowls sitting uncovered.
How Do I Get Rid Of Ants On My St. Louis Property?
If you already have an ant problem, the best thing to do is seek professional ant control solutions. For the best – and best value ant control in St. Louis, contact us here at Roberts Pest Control. We’ve got the tools and know-how to eliminate whatever ant infestation you’re dealing with and make sure it’s gone for good!